Preventing Burns and Scalds – Safety in the Domestic Kitchen

Preventing Burns and Scalds - Safety in the Domestic Kitchen



[Voiceover] A burn is caused by dry heat and can be avoided by using an oven mitt or thick, dry cloth,
do not use a wet cloth as heat quickly converts water into steam. To avoid handles becoming hot, take care not to leave them over hot elements nor should they hang over
the edge of the stove as they could be easily knocked. Very good Claire, but you should remove metal objects like that
ladle from hot foods immediately
(dramatic music) so they don't become hot as well. And if you know a utensil or pan
is likely to be hot warn others who might handle it. And here's a perfect example of why it is important for
tops to be close-fitting. What might have happened
if Scott was still wearing the baggy hoodie
we first saw him in? If clothing catches fire, act immediately don't run or waive your hands about, the casualty, yes Scott, that's you, lie on the floor and be
covered with a fire blanket. A scald is caused be wet
heat, to avoid scalding lift lids of hot pans away from you so that the steam escapes without reaching your face, notice Claire does not lean over the equipment and takes care to pour slowly when straining food so as to avoid splashing hot water. You're getting pretty good at this Claire. When opening ovens very good Scott, he stood to the side to avoid any heat that may escape from the oven when he opens it. And remember, when removing hot food from the oven, set it down on the stove or a nearby bench to avoid carrying it around the kitchen. Oil and water do not mix, so wipe moisture from food before putting it in the frying pan. (yelps in pain) Remember, always cool
food before tasting it. Oh no you don't Claire,
we don't double-dip the spoon without washing it in between. Use two hands to carry large containers but never overfill with hot liquids In the case of superficial burns, hold the affected area
under cold running water for at least 10 minutes, for serious burns immediately seek assistance from a nurse, doctor, or qualified first aider. To avoid fire, never leave cloth or paper near naked flames. It's too late Scott, I saw it. If lighting a stove with a match, strike it before turning on the gas this is especially important when lighting a gas oven or grill. Fat should never be left unattended If a fat fire does occur,
in no circumstances put water on it, the liquids will mix and the fire will spread, instead turn the heat off and cover the pan with its lid, this will
deprive the fire of oxygen extinguishing it. Fire extinguishers, which
every safe kitchen must have should be checked regularly to ensure they are operational.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *